Right? WRONG!


The traffic light was red and the halting hand was solid orange.  There was still seconds to spare, so I walked across the two-inch stretch of street.
My right side was against the light with my left pressed closer to the cars.  I was looking ahead so I did not see when the light switched green.  But I’m a New Yorker, we don’t wait for the light to change. 
I felt a car moving closer. I walked faster, out of the way, mumbling, run over me, why don’t ya! 
Through whatever music was vibrating in my ears at the time I heard the man behind the steering wheel shouting, “Watch where you’re walking!”
And I got to laughing; I guess this man never heard that the pedestrian always has the right of way!  Even though sometimes they really don’t—when they are crossing Death Boulevard—but what I did was harmless, and he really could have waited the half nanosecond it took to get out of his way.
 

The other saying goes, the customer is always right. I do not disagree with this when the customer is asking for something they want specifically, but if a customer is disobeying the store’s regulations, then they are wrong without a doubt.
So I worked in a costume store that had no dressing room, so the customers were not allowed to try anything on, which, I get, causes problems when you do not know if the outfit is going to fit. But when you have a sales woman saying, sorry you cannot try this on, then just listen. It was not like we were not letting them take the costumes out of the bag to hold them up to their body.
The hot item of the year was the joker costume, and a couple was in the corner taking the costume out of the bag and sticking their shoes in it, trying it on. I told the guy, I am sorry but you cannot try them on, but you can hold it up to your body. Did I mention he was also wearing the wig? I told him that was not allowed as well. I walked away to help another customer and when I walked back he was in full regalia. I told him again that it was not allowed, very calmly, very plain. They yessed me, I walked away, walked back, and still he was clothed in costume. I lost my cool then, three times is a charm and also enough to get me heated, so I marched to the manager who did absolutely nothing. So I took my break and got frozen yogurt to cool down. The couple was a pair of giant fucks! And anyway I was the best joker of the year because I made the outfit myself and did not dig the store bought one everyone else was running around with. 


So what did we learn here? Sometimes there is a right way and other times you are just wrong.


*Looking for a little something similar? Walk like a Homo Sapien

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Have to Draw the Line Somewhere

Brain Boggle

The Big Book Theory

Dear David Hasselhoff

Beyond the Road