Kurt Vonnegut and I


I had a professor who had a long lost brother.  Yesterday I saw that nameless brother on the train.  I knew it was him because he looked exactly like the professor.  He was tall and slender, and wore a neon green shirt under a beige blazer with white tennis shoes—very much unlike his brother.  But his face was exactly the same.  And in my dream his face was on Kurt Vonnegut. 




I was standing outside of a diner.  Jim Carroll’s* ghost was smoking a cigarette in the corner of the alcove awning. Revamping Nighthawks,** the painting.  I was pointing out Jim to my parents when a man tapped me on the shoulder.
“Kurt Vonnegut!” I said.
And because it did not look like Vonnegut himself I thought, maybe this is the shape he assumed when he slapped on his Jr.
When we went back into the diner it had turned into a barren bar: a few scattered tables set up as a Texas-hoedown-theme—minus the mechanical bull. A stage was also set along the back of the bar-barn.
By then my parents were gone. And Kurt and I sat at a table.
For a furniture-less room the place was pretty packed, and maybe we could not hear each other so Kurt and I were pressed practically lip-to-lip, for forty minutes.   
Then maybe I got up to dance on the stage (most likely), or play darts, or get drinks, or flirt with a younger guy across the way (possibly), but Kurt was leaving with an oblong satchel on his back.  
“Kurt!” I said, and I ran over to hug him, which I had suspicion he did not want.  He did not expect to see me as he left and I noticed as he walked past our table that he had scribbled me a note and left it next to his plate. I grabbed it and folded it into my pocket.  And then there was a shift in atmosphere as the image turned to lava and disintegrated into mist.  

                                               *Jim Carroll 

 

**Nighthawks Edward Hopper


                                                           BONUS:


DOUBLE BONUS:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Have to Draw the Line Somewhere

Brain Boggle

The Big Book Theory

Dear David Hasselhoff

Beyond the Road