The Fifth Screw: Screw the Dancing in the Street Taboo


Lately, when I walk down the street, listening to my iPod, I pretend I am in a 90s music video and lip-synch the words intensely. Gesturing and gyrating down the block with finger points and head bobs and umbrella baton-twirls, for if I just so happen to be carrying an umbrella with me.
My father tells me to sing loudly to keep creepy skeeze away. So I have been spicing up my routine by singing out loud.
Envision something like this:
Or possibly this:
Or even this:

So screw that stupid taboo of singing and dancing in the streets! Especially while listening to your iPod with your favorite walking songs bursting through your ears. It should be okay to dance at inappropriate times, in inappropriate places, like in the middle of your daily commute to the city, or in the middle of somebody's face.
For the record, the only time I have ever gotten away with singing in the streets was at night, actually 7 in the am, or walking with a good friend. (That last line is a lie, you will see why below) But I have never gotten to dance! 

But anyway, the only people who get away with dancing in the street is the mailman. I feel like mailmen would get away with this, don't you? Only mail people can sing and dance and stroll in the streets with their wheeled bags. Oh how I envy the mailman!
(This clip is only in here for the line, "Damn the man, save the Empire!")

                     Now, for your listening enjoyment, here is a list of some of my favorite walking songs:

                                                  I'm Your Captain

                                                  Better Man

Never Surrender

Running on Empty

Kodachrome

Power of Love 

Hungry Eyes

Let Me Take You Home Tonight

Forever Young

Baby Hold Onto Me

Take Me to the River 

Don't Get Me Wrong

Wait

                      (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher

                                          Fragments of Time
                                       
                                    Damn, that is an awful lot of awful 80s!

                 And now for my personal pleasure, here is my brand new 90s walking mix:

                                          Faded


                                          Flavor of the Weak

                                          Buddy Holly

                                          If You Could Only See

                                          Closer to Free

                                          So Sad to Say

                                          Time

                                          I Want You

                                          Ride wit Me


                              My go-to songs to hum:

                              The Doug theme song 

                                          The Goonies theme song

Times I have gotten to sing in public:
*Outside my performing arts high school singing an impromptu version of “When the Saints Go Marching In”
*On the train, when I just so happen to get the only completely empty car to myself. This has happened three times
*On the streets at seven in the morning when no one was around, singing “Out Tonight” from rent, while intoxicated
*One other time with my best friend singing one of my all time favorite songs, “Under Pressure” on the streets of Queens

So if anyone puts your tapping feet down, tells you that you just cannot dance for fun in the middle of the street, you just remember:

And finally, "Nobody gets out of here without singing the blues."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Have to Draw the Line Somewhere

Brain Boggle

The Big Book Theory

Dear David Hasselhoff

Beyond the Road